Johnson & Johnson is recalling five Neutrogena and Aveeno aerosol sunscreen product lines to the consumer level. Internal testing identified low levels of benzene in some samples of the products.
The sunscreen products impacted are aerosol products, specifically:
- NEUTROGENA® Beach Defense® aerosol sunscreen,
- NEUTROGENA® Cool Dry Sport aerosol sunscreen,
- NEUTROGENA® Invisible Daily™ defense aerosol sunscreen,
- NEUTROGENA® Ultra Sheer® aerosol sunscreen, and
- AVEENO® Protect + Refresh aerosol sunscreen.
Benzene is classified as a human carcinogen, a substance that could potentially cause cancer depending on the level and extent of exposure.
The recalled sunscreen products are packaged in aerosol cans. The products were distributed nationwide through a variety of retail channels.
Consumers should stop using these specific products and appropriately discard them. Consumers may contact the JJCI Consumer Care Center 24/7 with questions or to request a refund by calling 1-800-458-1673. Consumers should contact their physician or healthcare provider if they have any questions, concerns or have experienced any problems related to using these aerosol sunscreen products.