Charges upgraded against two suspects in 2019 kidnapping, murder of Minneapolis realtor Monique Baugh

0
255
Monique Baugh

Elsa Segura, 29, of Fridley, and Lyndon Wiggins, 36, of Minneapolis, have been indicted by a Hennepin County Grand Jury for their part in the 2019 New Year’s Eve kidnapping and murder of 28-year-old real estate agent, Monique Baugh, and the attempted murder of her boyfriend, the Hennepin County Attorney’s Office announced Thursday.

The indictments came May 13 and listed four counts each against Segura and Wiggins: aiding and abetting premeditated first-degree murder, aiding and abetting attempted premeditated second-degree murder, aiding and abetting kidnapping, and aiding and abetting first-degree felony murder while committing kidnapping.

Prior to the indictments, both Wiggins and Segura had previously been charged with second-degree murder, attempted murder, and kidnapping in connection with the case. Wiggins is currently in federal custody for narcotics charges.

“I cannot begin to describe how vicious the behavior was in this case,” Freeman said. “We have charged Mr. Berry with setting a trap for Ms. Baugh, assassinating her at close range and shooting at her boyfriend while in the same house with two small children. We are seeking high bail and will do all in our power to prove him guilty.”

According to the criminal complaint, around 5:30 p.m. on Dec. 31, a man with a black mask with one hole for both eyes used a key to enter a home in the 4800 block of Humboldt Avenue North and shot at Baugh’s boyfriend as he was sitting on the steps to the second floor. His three-year-old child was nearby on a couch and his one-year-old was sleeping upstairs, where the boyfriend fled from the gunman.

Relatives showed up at the house to take care of the children when the victim was rushed to the hospital. One of the relatives was Baugh’s mother, the complaint states. She noted that the key that had been dropped by the shooter belonged to Baugh and Baugh would normally be home at that time of day.

At 6:38 p.m., three shots were fired in an alley in the 1300 block of Russell Avenue North. When police arrived, they found Baugh, her hands bound by tape, and dead from three bullet wounds, according to the complaint. At both shootings, police found .45-caliber, silver-colored Federal brand discharged cartridge casings.

Further investigation determined that Baugh, a relator, had been called on her private cell phone that afternoon by someone who wanted to view a house in Maple Grove, the complaint states. She arrived there about 3 p.m. and a short time later, a U-Haul van arrived. Video showed a person forcibly walking someone into the cargo area of the van, which drove away at 3:18 p.m.

Other video showed the U-Haul near the Humboldt Avenue shooting and a license plate number led them to a business in Mounds View.  The business owner provided the name of the two people who rented the van. They then told police they rented it for Berry, who gave them heroin in return, according to the complaint.

When Berry was arrested about midnight Jan. 2, police searched his car. They found a black mask like the one worn in the first shooting and 13 baggies of suspected heroin.

Two other co-defendants in this case, Cedric Berry, 42, of Minneapolis, and Berry Davis, 42, of Brooklyn Park, were indicted in February 2020 by a Hennepin County Grand Jury for the same charges Wiggins and Segura now face.

Click here for criminal complaint.

Click here for backstory. 

Facebook Comments