Man, 23, shot by police after he allegedly rushed at officers with knife; mom found slain in home


WAKEFIELD, MASS. — Middlesex District Attorney Marian Ryan and Wakefield Chief of Police Steven Skory have confirmed the ongoing investigation into an apparent homicide that occurred Tuesday at an Otis Street home in Wakefield.

Around 10:00 a.m., Wakefield police responded to a home on Otis Street to perform a well-being check after being notified that the victim, identified as Pamela Wood, 61, of Wakefield, did not show up for work at Greenwood Elementary School where she worked as a speech therapist.

The DA says that when the victim did not show up for a scheduled 8:30 a.m. appointment at Greenwood Elementary School, school officials notified the victim’s family, who went to her Otis Street home but were unable to gain entrance as they did not have a key. The victim’s family members subsequently walked into the Wakefield Police Station to request assistance with a well-being check. Simultaneously, the school resource officer also went to the home to attempt to locate the victim.

Upon arrival at the home, the Wakefield Fire Department was able to gain access by prying open the back door. Police and Firefighters reportedly entered the home, announced their entrance and began to clear the residence starting with the top floor. Wakefield Fire also responded to assist with the well-being check. Wakefield Firefighters on scene proceeded to the basement level of the home and located the victim deceased with severe trauma and called for backup.

Multiple officers proceeded downstairs continuing to announce their presence. At that time, the suspect, identified as the victim’s son Timothy Martin, 23 of Manchester, NH who did not reside in the home and reportedly was not expected to be there, allegedly emerged running toward officers while in possession of a knife that he was holding above his head. Two Wakefield officers discharged their guns striking the victim. The officers performed life-saving efforts on scene and Martin was transported to Lahey Hospital where he is in custody and expected to survive. Unspecified charges are expected to be filed.

Five Wakefield Police officers received treatment at area hospitals but did not sustain serious injuries.

The two officers who fired their service weapons have been placed on administrative leave per department policy.

“Pam was a beloved staff member at the Greenwood School and Doyle Early Childhood Center and a vibrant and integral part of the Wakefield Public Schools Community,” Wakefield Public Schools Superintendent Douglas Lyons said. “She will be missed by students, families and staff alike. Our hearts go out to her family during this tremendously difficult time.”

The investigation is ongoing.

Facebook Comments