Man Gets 1 Year In Federal Prison For Attacking Flight Attendant And Breaching Cabin Door Mid-Flight

Matej Kastelic/500px/Getty Images

PENSACOLA, FLORIDA (DOJ) – Last week, Kameron C. Stone, 30, of Fairfax, Virginia, was sentenced to one year in federal prison for interfering with flight crew and assault by striking and wounding in special aircraft jurisdiction after pleading guilty on February 8, 2022. The sentence was announced by Jason R. Coody, United States Attorney for the Northern District of Florida.

“The safety and security of the traveling public and the professionals who provide this service are paramount,” stated U.S. Attorney Coody. “Given the swift actions of the flight attendant, passengers and a Deputy United States Marshal, an incredibly dangerous situation was averted. Perilous acts such as this will be investigated by our law enforcement partners and vigorously prosecuted by this office.”

On April 16, 2021, Stone boarded a flight departing from Dulles International Airport in Virginia bound for Pensacola International Airport. During the flight, passengers noticed Stone was behaving obnoxiously and smelled strongly of alcohol. A flight attendant warned Stone on several occasions about his behavior, which included pretending to shoot at passengers, refusing to remain seated or wear a seatbelt, and reaching for the cockpit door. As the flight began its final descent, Stone approached the front of the aircraft and tried to open the cabin and cockpit doors. A flight attendant attempted to prevent Stone from opening the doors and, as a result, Stone pushed her, grabbed her shoulders, and shoved her into the galley wall, injuring her in the process. During the altercation, Stone successfully breached the main cabin door to the external portion of the plane, triggering the alarm and causing the pilots to declare an emergency with the Federal Aviation Administration. The flight attendant prevented Stone from fully opening the door while three passengers, to include an off-duty Deputy United States Marshal, subdued Stone until landing.

FDLE Pensacola Regional Operations Center Special Agent in Charge Chris Williams said, “It is paramount that aviation employees and passengers can trust that the planes flying across our skies are safe and secure.” “I am proud of the work of our members and our federal partners in ensuring that Stone is held to account for his actions. I hope this case and prison sentence will serve as a warning to anyone who would threaten the safety of those who work or travel in our skies.”

Stone’s prison sentence will be followed by three years of supervised release. The court ordered Stone to pay all civil penalties assessed by the Transportation Security Administration, as well as a fine of $7,500.

This case was investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Florida Department of Law Enforcement, and the Pensacola Police Department. Assistant United States Attorney Jennifer H. Callahan prosecuted the case.

Facebook Comments