Colo. Dentist Accused of Killing His Wife With Poison Protein Shake in ‘Complex and Calculated Murder’: Police


AURORA, Colo. – A Colorado dentist allegedly poisoned his wife’s protein shakes with arsenic and later gave her a lethal dose of potassium cyanide that he had ordered under the pretext of needing it for surgery.

As Angela Craig remained hospitalized and doctors struggled to diagnose her, James Craig allegedly met with a woman with whom he planned to start a new life, according to court documents.

Craig, 45, was arrested on Sunday on suspicion of first-degree murder, after his wife died during her third hospitalization this month. He is being represented by the public defender’s office, which does not comment on cases, according to court records.

Police in Aurora began investigating Craig after a colleague and friend, Ryan Redfearn, informed a nurse that Craig had ordered potassium cyanide, despite it not being necessary for their dental practice. Craig had instructed an office manager not to open the package, but another employee did, leading to its discovery and disclosure to authorities, the warrant said.

Investigators believe Craig laced one of his wife’s protein shakes with arsenic on March 6 and then gave her one containing potassium cyanide before she was readmitted to the hospital. Authorities intercepted the delivery of Oleandrin, a third substance he had reportedly ordered, after investigating him.

Craig allegedly told Redfearn that he had bought the potassium cyanide for his wife and told a social worker that she had been suicidal and depressed since he had asked for a divorce in December, even though their children had not mentioned any suicide attempts.

Redfearn also informed investigators that Craig was nearly bankrupt and was experiencing marital difficulties. Angela Craig’s sister, Toni Kofoed, told police that Craig had drugged his wife with an unknown substance about five years ago because he had planned to kill himself and did not want her to revive him.

“When the suspicious details of this case came to light, our team of officers and homicide detectives tirelessly worked to uncover the truth behind the victim’s sudden illness and death,” said Division Chief Mark Hildebrand. “It was quickly discovered this was in fact a heinous, complex and calculated murder. I am very proud of our Major Crimes Homicide Unit’s hard work in solving this case and pursuing justice for the victim.”

Facebook Comments