Police Find Pregnant Woman Brutally Murdered, Man Faces Life Plus 20 Years

Khaya Lambert / GoFundMe

Northwest Baltimore — William Mason, who shot his pregnant girlfriend, Khaya Lambert in June of 2017, was found guilty of first-degree murder and use of a handgun in a crime of violence.

Assistant State’s Attorney (ASA) Traci Robinson prosecuted this case.

On June 21, 2017, at approximately 12:43 AM a call was made to 911 reporting the sound of gunshots and a woman screaming in an apartment complex in the 3900 block of Liberty Heights Avenue. When officers arrived, they were unable to locate a weapon or gunman.

At 1:41 AM, officers were called again with a report of a break-in at the same apartment building. At the scene, police found an unresponsive male–later identified as William Mason–seated on the concrete steps of the apartment complex. Police noticed that the defendant was covered in blood and wore a bloody sock on one foot, while his other foot was bare.

Later that evening at 8:45 PM, police responded to the same Liberty Heights complex in response to a 911 call reporting bloody footprints outside of an apartment where the door had been open the entire day.� Officers responded to the scene. Upon entering, they discovered the body of Khaya Lambert and two handguns. DNA results revealed the victim’s blood on both handguns and Mason’s DNA on only one of the weapons. Police also recovered a white sock from the steps where they found Mason. Testing revealed both the victim and Mason’s blood on the sock. Similarly, in the footprints outside the apartment, police discovered a mixture of blood belonging to Mason and Lambert.

Medical examiners ruled the death of Khaya Lambert a homicide and determined that the victim–who was several weeks pregnant –had suffered multiple gunshot wounds along with multiple sharp and blunt force injuries.

“The facts in this case reveal a dangerous murderer’s brutal intent to cause death and destruction to a defenseless and pregnant victim who should have never lost her life this way,” said State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby. “If not for the 911 calls made by vigilant and concerned neighbors, police may have never discovered the late-victim delaying the conviction of this dangerous defendant and the justice to the victim’s loved ones.”

Facebook Comments